The Mersey Bowmen Archery Club was founded in 1781, and originally located in the centre of Liverpool.
When Sefton Park was designed in 1867, space was set aside for croquet lawns and archery, alongside a sheep park. Other areas of the park were designated for deer and wild birds.
Between awarding the contract for designing the park and the completion of construction, lawn tennis was invented. Croquet fell out of popularity, and the Mersey Bowmen Archery and Lawn Tennis Club settled into its new home.
The Bowmen remains the world’s second oldest surviving tennis club, but archery is no longer provided for members. The club’s championship grass courts had fallen out of use, so have now been restored as croquet lawns.